Total ABA Species Recorded During 2010 - 731



Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mt. San Jacinto


Today over most of southern California it was raining, or snowing, or sleeting.  For us it was all of the above.  We left San Diego and drove northeast to climb the west side of Mt San Jacinto.  The purpose of this drive was to reach the Hurkey Creek area where it is possible to run into a roving flock of Pinyon Jays (web photo).  We reached the area and struggled through the weather, seeing some nice birds.  But the jays didn't put in an appearance.  Perhaps they're nesting now and have moved away from this area.  We came down from over 6000 feet elevation to 2000 feet mostly in the fog.  That would be slowly.  Tonight we're shacked up in Banning.  Tomorrow we'll spend the day birding with Gene Cardiff, my birding mentor.  I met Gene in 1968 while I was a post-doc.  His inspiration has made me the birder I have become.  No new birds for the list today.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your day with your mentor. I know that will be special. Mentors are very special people ;-) Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfesser,
    i'm really enjoying your journey...a vicarious thrill. BAke, I believe you'll hit the number. TNX for your commitment to this project from all of us who would love to be in CA right now regardless of WX.

    Arkay
    yeroljob@cvwo

    ReplyDelete