Total ABA Species Recorded During 2010 - 731



Friday, May 14, 2010

Virginia Birding

So many birds in the yard.  There were thrushes, warblers including several bright male Magnolias (web photo), vireos.  It was quite a feast, but nothing new for he year.  Later in the morning I went to the Weyanoke Sanctuary in Norfolk where I had 12 species of warbler in a little over an hour.  Very good birding, but again nothing new.  In the afternoon Joyce and I took a ride up Virginia's Eastern Shore.  We stopped at a great coffee shop about 20 miles up the shore.  From there we went to Saxis marsh on the bayside west of Temperanceville.  There were lots of Seaside Sparrows singing away, but I couldn't find a Saltmarsh Sparrow.  We waited until it became dark and I listened for Black Rail.  Although I could hear Virginia Rails calling, there was no Black Rail to be heard.  I'll have to try again later.  The new bird brought the total to 561.

No comments:

Post a Comment