Total ABA Species Recorded During 2010 - 731



Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Kentucky Warbler

You may recall that I tried for a Kentucky Warbler along the Blue Ridge Parkway on my way home from Staunton last week.  But it was a complete white-out and I didn't get the easy bird for which I was hoping.  Monday I had been going to search some of the nearby southside counties for a Kentucky Warbler with David Hughes, but he had a doctor's appointment that kept him from going.  So I launched out myself driving to Ivor VA on Rte 460, then turning southwest and trying country roads near the Assamoosik Swamp.  After an hour, I heard a singing Kentucky Warbler in Brunswick County (web photo).  I also heard a large number of Hooded Warblers, Ovenbirds, Red-eyed Vireos, Blue Grosbeaks, and Indigo Buntings.
I paid another visit to the Weyanoke Sanctuary without finding the Bicknell's Thrush.
At home I packed up and left for Hatteras where I will go on six of Brian Patteson's pelagic trips.  On the way down the Outer Banks, I stopped to say hello to Audrey Whitlock.  When I got to Hatteras, I re-located where Brian docks his boat, had dinner, and checked into my motel room.  The warbler brings the total to 564.

No comments:

Post a Comment