Total ABA Species Recorded During 2010 - 731



Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Return to Saxis

I gave our mulberry tree a good search, but no Bicknell's Thrush.  I also went to the Weyanoke Sanctuary where there are mulberry trees as well.  But no Bicknell's Thrush.  So in the afternoon I drove to Saxis marsh on Virginia's Eastern Shore.  This time I got maybe three Saltmarsh Sparrows in amongst the many Seaside Sparrows.  I got them along the main road into the town of Saxis.  However, I was a nervous wreck the whole time since the cars on that road go very fast and there are no shoulders.  After that successful pass, I drove around to the side road that goes south from the main road.  I didn't find any Saltmarsh Sparrows there, but about 6pm, long before the sun set, I heard the unmistakable call of a Black Rail (web photo).  It called four times.  I was a bit surprised since today was cooler than my previous try.  But I'm not going to argue with success.  The early time that the rail called gave me time to get back to Norfolk to watch the Cards game on TV.  The two new birds brings the total to 563.

No comments:

Post a Comment