Total ABA Species Recorded During 2010 - 731



Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bodega Bay Pelagic II

Since I had scouted out the commute to the boat dock yesterday, it was an easy drive today with only a few bits of fog here and there. The boat was again the New Sea Angler which was our boat from here last month. The good news was that the fog which hung over the hills I drove through wasn't too bad although it came and went for much of the way out to sea. The water temperature was in the mid fifties so I was glad to have my warm clothes on. We got out about 40 miles into some warmer water and that paid off because we had a great, close flyby of a Cook's Petrel. This was not a new bird for me, but it was certainly a much better look than the one I had out of Santa Barbara. However, it was new for Chris Hitt who had missed the bird on that earlier trip.  Although I didn't get any new yearbirds, the trip had a lot of birds. We had Ashy, Black, Fork-tailed, and Wilson's Storm-Petrels; Sooty, Pink-footed, and Buller's Shearwaters; Black-footed Albatross; Northern Fulmars, both dark and light; all three jaegers (Parasitic photo) and South Polar Skua (photo); Western, California, Heerman's and Sabine's (photo) Gulls; Arctic Terns; Common Murres, Cassin's and Rhinoceros Auklets; Tufted Puffin (photo); Xantu's Murrelets; Red and Red-necked Phalaropes.  Tomorrow is a day to rest and recover from this cold I brought back from Alaska that I can't seem to shake. On Friday I go out from Half Moon Bay again, hopefully picking up a yearbird.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Feel better soon! Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever you do, don't look at baseball. I won't make you feel any better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahem - that would be "It won't make you feel any better," as in baseball not me. Or rather, as in the Cardinals specifically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot black tea with lots of fresh lemon juice and honey - plus a thimbleful of Jim Beam.

    ReplyDelete