Total ABA Species Recorded During 2010 - 731



Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Full Day on the Coast of Louisiana

Our last day at the festival didn't include any romps with Yellow Rails.  Instead we joined a group of festival goers on a trip to coastal Louisiana where we scored 109 species for the day moving along at a casual pace and obviously seeing lots of good birds.  We added a couple of new plovers (Wilson's and Snowy (photo)) to our trip list, plus Reddish Egret, White Pelican, Wood Stork, Inca Dove, White-winged Dove, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, two Barn Owls, and four woodpeckers.  Tomorrow with a late start and perhaps some birding along the way we drive back to New Orleans where we will get a good night's sleep and fly out on Monday.  David will return to Norfolk and I will fly to New England to meet up yet again with the intrepid Denny Abbott with whom I will go to Canada to try for the Pink-footed and Graylag Geese.  Thankfully I now carry my passport and I'm not taking my scope. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Bob,
    Sounds like a great trip. I've been lurking here reading your posts for weeks. Last time I saw you was maybe 5 years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the geese - hope that Fork-tailed Flycatcher at Chance Harbour shows up again! Apparently another one in Connecticut (possible)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping to run into you on Saturday to get "Bob Ake" on my "Birder Life List". But the Yellow Rails were cooperating so well it was hard to tear myself away to chase after people-rarities. Darn!

    ReplyDelete