Total ABA Species Recorded During 2010 - 731



Monday, December 6, 2010

I'm in Newfoundland

After a long day of travel, I have arrived in St. John's Newfoundland where I will spend three full days birding.  I learned that US airlines don't have a monopoly on delays.  We spent two extra hours in Halifax NS because there was a mechanical problem that required attention.  The good news is they got it fixed and we got to St. John's where I picked up my bag and rental car, drove to the Battery Hotel where I checked in and had some supper.  It is raining hard since a very deep low is passing out of Maine and heading NE.  I'm meeting Bruce Mactavish tomorrow morning for an introductory birding run.  Dave Brown had something come up which will keep him home, so I'll have to manage by myself after Bruce excuses himself to go off and earn a living.  I should be able to handle that.  Sunrise here is 7:30am and sunset is around 4:30pm, so there aren't many daylight hours.  I'll make the most of them, probably checking out the gull locations which I understand can be accomplished from the dryness of my rental car.  Let's hope so.

1 comment:

  1. Superb! I do like the old Battery - very good service and a hearty meal. That's where Field Guides stays in St. John's. If you can get a plate of cod cheeks or cod tongues (neither is really what the names imply!), fried (oh yes), give it a try - even better taste than our seaside oysters, no kidding. Bruce is an amazing force - have a blast (and not just wind/rain)!

    ReplyDelete